Blueprint Genetics, a Quest Diagnostics company, is on a mission to bring world-class genetic knowledge to mainstream healthcare with our four guiding principles: sense of purpose, teamwork, transparency and customer focus. We are currently recruiting for a Senior Bioinformatics Specialist to join our team at one of these locations: Seattle, WA; San Juan Capistrano, CA; or Marlborough, MA.
The Senior Bioinformatics Specialist will take deep dives into the next-generation sequencing (NGS) data of patients to help our geneticists and laboratory scientists to solve bioinformatically challenging patient cases. Work is conducted in collaboration with Clinical Interpretation as well as Bioinformatics and Lab R&D teams. This professional participates in development and testing of new laboratory assays, bioinformatics tools and pipeline updates, and also performs bioinformatics analyses in custom research projects with our customers and business partners.
The Senior Bioinformatics Specialist participates in execution and monitoring of bioinformatics production analysis pipeline, and prepares reports, publications, and other communications of analysis results and interpretation related to business objectives such as product/process development and improvement.
Your main tasks will include:
- Devises analysis plans and conducts, records, and reports results from complex bioinformatics analyses.
- Interprets results of analyses and recommends next steps and alternative approaches.
- Identifies problems, investigates alternatives, and recommends possible courses of action, contributes to technical decisions.
- Provides, maintains, and develops expertise in specific subjects that contribute to the development of new products and processes.
- Effectively utilizes and applies advanced methods or technologies for analysis of NGS data.
- Prepares and presents information at project meetings, scientific & technical meetings/conferences, and to customers.
- Works with team members and other Business Unit personnel (e.g. R&D, Operations, IT) to meet department and project objectives.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Successful completion of an advanced degree (M.S./Ph.D.) in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genetics, Computer Science, or related scientific discipline.
- 4+ years of prior relevant experience in an academic and/or industrial environment (including relevant experience in pursuit of M.S./Ph.D., e.g. 2 yrs M.S. + 2 yrs industrial experience, or 4 yrs. Ph.D.)
- Experience with latest bioinformatics tools and genetics variant/bioinformatics databases is required.
- Intermediate skills in scripting/programming (e.g. Python, bash, R) are required.
- Experience with cloud computing is an asset.
- Experience in working under certified and accredited quality management systems is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of related products and technologies gained through experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as professional journals, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write complete reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations including teleconferenced/remote participants.
- Ability to apply sophisticated mathematical and computational concepts to problem-solving situations.
- Experience with relevant data analysis and visualization tools and methods.
What we offer:
At Blueprint Genetics you will work with dedicated and innovative colleagues and experts with versatile backgrounds, whilst having an opportunity to support industry-changing solutions at the forefront of health and life sciences. We offer you generous health, dental, and vision insurance plans, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) plan and paid time off, company paid holidays, and 1 floating holiday. You will join an open, global and collaborative work environment where you can learn and grow together with the company.