Blueprint Genetics is on a mission to bring world-class genetics knowledge to mainstream healthcare. We work with hundreds of clinics around the globe and the quality of our interpretation has been praised by many of the world’s best medical centers. Our company is growing rapidly, and we are currently looking for a highly motivated, full-time Lab Supervisor to join our operations in Seattle, WA.
The Lab Supervisor is accountable for the accuracy and reliability of all laboratory services provided by the specialty department section under his/her immediate control; directs the supervision, training and development of section personnel; plans and schedules the activities of the section; assumes responsibility for the proper application of laboratory policies and procedures; and operates the section on a cost-effective basis and within budgetary constraints. The incumbent actively supports and complies with all company and departmental policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for recommending and endorsing test methods, to include validation, documentation and installation of test systems.
- Responsible for the development and on-going maintenance of a detailed laboratory procedure manual; format as established to meet accreditation and licensing requirements.
- Responsible for the selection, retention and training of qualified laboratory personnel.
- Provides day-to-day supervision/oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting of test results. Provides direct supervision when high complex testing is performed by individuals qualified under S 493.1489 (b) (1)1.
- Resolves technical problems in accordance with established policies and procedures; is available to testing personnel at all times that tests are being performed to provide on-site telephone or electronic consultation.
- Monitors test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Assures that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Coordinates orientation and continuing education programs for all testing personnel, under his/her supervision.
- Attests in writing, at least annually, that all personnel meet regulatory requirements and that they have an adequate knowledge of the test systems for which they are responsible.
- Establishes necessary budgetary controls and maintains costs at an acceptable level. Prepares reports detailing departmental activities, revenues, expenses and the like, when needed.
- Attends laboratory management meetings and informs his/her employees of pertinent information.
- Responsible for providing proper information for the professional services manual on a regular basis.
- Informs the Director of any problems associated with the proper performance of test procedures. Informs the Director of all complaints concerning the validity of test results, turnaround times, and the like.
- Ensures that technical personnel are responsive to client inquiries or problems and/or that they are directed to a competent authority.
- Ensures that tests are performed in a timely fashion to meet published turnaround times.
- Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, including latex gloves (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
- Prepares employee performance review, approves time and attendance records, maintain training files and performs other administrative duties as required.
- Actively supports and complies with laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs other job-related/miscellaneous duties as assigned by the Manager or Director.
1) Until September 1, 1997 - have earned an academic high school diploma or equivalent, and have documentation of training appropriate for the testing performed prior to analyzing patient specimens.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
Qualifications for this position pertain to full-time employees. One of the following requirements for academic/experience criteria must be fulfilled.
- Master of Science Degree in chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science with at least four (4) years of work experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science with at least six (6) years of work experience
A minimum of one (1) year of in-house service as Senior Medical Technologist in the designated discipline is normally required for promotion to this level. Two to three years’ successful experience in a supervisory or leadership capacity preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of technical aspects of all tests performed and equipment utilized in the discipline for which he/she is responsible.
- Ability to make sound decision under stressful situations.
- Proven leadership and problem solving skills.
- Analytical skills necessary to determine and correct operating problem, and to schedule and plan the work of others.
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively and courteously communicate with all Quest Diagnostics employees and clients.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated support of the company’s policies, procedures, and goals.
- Required to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals.
What We Offer:
- Generous health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans.
- Competitive paid time off and holiday policy.
- Traditional 401(k), FSA, HSA, EAP and commuter benefits.
- Chance to develop your skills further in a rapidly evolving business environment.
- Positive and international work environment with great people.
- We are a team of experienced, young professionals who share the passion to help patients and families with inherited disorders.